Officials Warn That Drinking Moscow Mules Out Of A Copper Mug Could Be Poisonous

The Moscow mule has been enjoyed in a copper mug by people for over seven decades, but public health officials are warning drinkers that the copper mug could be a potential hazard.

Iowa’s Alcoholic Beverages Division recently put out an advisory bulletin calling for bartenders to cease serving a Moscow Mule in the traditional copper mug.

The note reads: “Iowa, as well as many other states, has adopted the federal Food and Drug Administration’s Model Food Code, which prohibits copper from coming into direct contact with foods that have a pH below 6.0. Examples of foods with a pH below 6.0 include vinegar, fruit juice, or wine.”

Since the Moscow mule’s pH is below 6.0 and is made with vodka, ginger beer, lime, and ice, the drink falls under this advisory.

Drinking a Moscow mule out of a copper mug could lead to copper poisoning, which according to the National Institute of Health says causes vomiting and diarrhea, liver failure and even death.

Keep scrolling to learn more about his new potentially hazardous advisory bulletin could affect the way you drink.

The post Officials Warn That Drinking Moscow Mules Out Of A Copper Mug Could Be Poisonous appeared first on LittleThings.